“..aid to the old and indigent, assistance to youth in meeting of its educational needs, and general aid and assistance in all educational, religious and church activities of the Methodist denomination.”
In 1939, a small group of church members, led by Robert E. Dawson, met to discuss the idea of organizing a foundation that could handle, in trust, money that donors gave to support the church and its work. As a result of these initial meetings, a foundation that came to be known as the Pasadena Methodist Foundation was formed with the mission of providing “…aid and support of the work and program of the Methodist denomination.” The Foundation’s specific objectives were to offer “..aid to the old and indigent, assistance to youth in meeting of its educational needs, and general aid and assistance in all educational, religious and church activities of the Methodist denomination.”
Initially, Foundation donors earmarked their donations for specific purposes. Income from one of the first donations managed by the trustees went toward pension payments for a minister and his spouse as specified by the donor. For the first twenty years of the Foundation’s life, most of the income from a second trust was earmarked for certain college tuition scholarships.
In 1946, Mrs. Amy Crellin died, leaving the Foundation with new trust money for FUMC’s Christian education ministry program, and not tied to the educational needs of a selected group of students. This gift was the beginning of the Foundation’s new direction for years to come. Other major gifts followed, including the Maxwell gifts designated for the church music ministry and organ. Today, as a result of the generosity of donors throughout the last half of the 20th century, the Foundation plays a crucial role in the day-to-day operation of the church and the lives of its members. Annual grants made by the Foundation are made primarily from trust income so as not to reduce trust principal.